Monday 13 February 2012

february flowers

February can be so dull - all the more reason to brighten up your house with flowers.

some yellow daffs


Cheap shop bought daffodil plants (only 50p each) re-potted into a shallow tin and topped off with moss from our local woods.

some pink hyacinths



My hyacinths bulbs were given to me for my birthday at the end of September. I planted them in bulb fibre and kept them in a dark place for a couple of months. I have never been a one for forward planning and planting bulbs for the next season so I was chuffed to bits when I first took them out of hibernation to find that they were about an inch tall. I re-potted them (because I found this lovely tin trough) and then topped off with moss. They look as if they are giving quite a good show here in this photo but I'm afraid this is as good as it got! The pink colour is fab. The leaves continued to grow but my flowers were stunted and died back much quicker than I expected. What did I do wrong? Did I not leave them in the dark long enough? Should I not have re-potted them? Were they in too much light too soon? Were they over-watered or under-watered? I don't know where I went wrong.

some beautiful purple crocuses



these little beauties are on the patio in my back garden. This photo was taken when they were opened up to the afternoon sunshine - don't they look gorgeous?

I think I'll have to get some tulips next - I'm planning to draw some for my next freestyle embroidery picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment